So here we are, 5 months in, and what social little girl Baker is becoming. She is incredibly aware of her environment and surroundings these days, which is fun and challenging all at the same time. As I prepared to write this post, I started looking through pictures of her birth and first months. My how much these little babies change in such a short time!
I remember when Baker was only a week old thinking about how I wish she’d stay this little forever, but I can honestly say that every month just keeps getting more and more fun. I’m really hoping this continues forever. or until she turns 14 and inevitably decides I’m no longer cool.
Can we skip that part?
Baker at FIVE months
We went in for her big sisters’ 3 year well visit I did a weight check on this little chunk.
Weight: 14 pounds 7 ounces
Birth: 6 lbs 13 oz
- Sitting (in this leaning forward position) on her own. I wouldn’t really call it “sitting up” on her own because it’s not but she will sort of lean forward unassisted! She holds herself really well in the jumbo and I think with a little more practice she will be sitting soon. I cant believe we are already to that point! She was born like three days ago..
- Reaching out/grabbing and holding onto things. She has really gotten great at this. She is so interested in everything in eyes very- alert and exploring. She had noticed my jewelry and plays with my necklace and earrings whenever I’m holding her. She has a favorite rattle toy that she swings back and forth so she can hear it make noise.
- Getting upset/excited when we leave/enter the room. This is definitely new…I’ve noticed her face lights up when Jordan, or I enter the room or her line of sight- and she especially loves her sisters. She is still a social little girl and wants to be in the mix of everything all the time- so when we leave she is noticeably upset, depending on what she’s doing or her mood.
- Teething…I mentioned this last month! drool.slobber.everywhere. There are no visible signs of teeth, but her little gums are swollen here and there on occasion. I’m tempted to try the amber necklaces- truthfully I am skeptical, but I have close friends that swear by them. Maybe.
- Noticing her hands, feet, etc. She will put her hand out in front of her and stare in amazement as she moves it around…it’s so cute! Her feet are her favorite toy right now. She has been grabbing them for about a month, but never really started using them to her advantage- she rocks back and forth while holding both of her feet- and will give it a good swing to help push her on over to her tummy.
- We have a rolling babe! Back to tummy and tummy to back.
- Airplane. She’s not crawling yet but she will lift her whole chest, arms and head/neck off the floor and kick and scoot her legs like she wants to go somewhere. I have a feeling her and Jolie will be alike on this- Jo was army crawling by 5 months!
- Baker is still in size 2 diapers, wearing mostly 0-3 months still.. but some 3-6 months in pajamas.
LOVES her paci! When she became congested early last month she couldn’t self soothe or suck on her thumb (and stopped sleeping through the night..) so we started offering her wubby a little more and a little more and she now prefers it over her thumb.
LOVES her sisters. Like, a lot. A lot, a lot.
LOVES the swing.
LOVES to swing her toys back and forth to see if they make noise. The louder the better!
LOVES to eat!!
LOVES to hold her daddy’s hand while he rubs her head
LOVES to be carried in the solly wrap or in daddy’s (man) carrier
HATES when we walk away.
HATES the toilet flushing. If she is in earshot she will get really frightened.
HATES the carseat- but only about 30% of the time these days- YAAAS! We ended up extending the base of the carseat so that she is reclined back a bit more instead of sitting so upright- and she is much more comfortable. I had a girlfriend remind me about this option..the things you forget about from previous babies:)
moccs // leggings
I’m still exclusively breastfeeding when I am home and she gets two bottles of breast milk during the day when I am at work. She sleeps and eats and plays around the same time every day. 3-4 hours is the normal between feedings, eating 5 to 7 times every day. The usual ‘scheduled’ feedings: 4am-5am every morning when she wakes and then 9am, 12-1pm, 4pm, 7pm-8pm before going down for the night. MOST of the time we hit this schedule pretty well- and for the most part I like the stick to it pretty strictly during the week because at the 9am and 12pm she gets a bottle and I pump while at work and then I am able to nurse her when I get home at the 4pm feeding.
She hasn’t started solids yet and we don’t plan to until 6 months but she is definitely showing a clear interest in food, watching us eat and reaching out for cups, bowls, etc. I’ve been reading up on baby led weaning and really really considering it with her when the time comes.
PLAY // DEVELOPMENT
This girl LOVES to play. A few weeks ago we pulled out the exersaucer toy just to see if she would be able to fit and play.. and um, not only did she fit- but she plays her little heart out in it! She loves the lights, the sounds, and the fact that she can stand on her own to play. Her favorite thing to do is stand on her little legs. If not standing, she’s kicking or grabbing her toes – she LOVES her feet! She is fascinated with them! While she found them last month, she has really made them into a toy this month. Her interaction with her sisters and her little baby friends has become more controlled. Reaching for toys and playing contently. She will sit in her bouncy seat or on the playmate and play and explore her surroundings for 20 and up to 30 minutes! I have gotten good at getting the kitchen straightened up and a load of laundry in the wash while she gives me that time. While she isn’t quiet fine with playing alone, Parker and Jolie are always close by:)
She rolled over from back to tummy this month! Since she mastered this roll she rarely stays put on her back for long. If I lay her down she flips right over almost immediately. This is making diaper changes fun! For the most part everything goes straight to her mouth- we have a few favorite toys, and love basically anything that makes noise! If it doesnt make noise, she is slapping it on the counter or table or even on herself. She had really taken a liking to one of her bunnies- she rubs its ears on her face when she sleepy. I was hoping that she would start favoring a toy or a ‘lovey’ at some point.. her sisters did and still have their little loves (Wubby and Puppy) they sleep with and basically bring everywhere
bow // teether
custom sign // tassel banner // pennant banner // custom bedding
UGH. We are still all over the place with this category. One night she will sleep 8pm-5am and the next night she will be up every hour. We have a pretty regular bedtime routine since moving her into her room earlier this month (!!!) so going down isn’t a problem at all- its the staying asleep part that gets hairy. She naps well during the day – usually around 9:30m-10am for about 2 1/2 hours and then again around 3pm for an hour or an hour and a half. Sometimes she will nap for about 30-45 minutes around 6pm- just long enough to get through dinner with the twins, but that nap is hit or miss. Occasionally she will cat nap if we are out and about but always gets a solid nap in her bed at least once a day.
Bed time routine looks a little something like this:
7pm: warm bath, bubbles + soaking in the tub
7:20pm: lotion massage
Since she’s been rolling over, she will sleep on her tummy AND on her back. I have been surprised to see my tummy sleeper sleeping soundly on her back when I check on her in the middle of the night.
I really wish I could be all like “oh her sleep has gotten so much better!”, but that would be a complete lie. We haven’t quite overcome the ‘4 month sleep regression’ and my going back to work. Prior to all this mess we were sleeping 10-14 hours at night. Lets hurry back to that place, mkayyy?
bow // cardigan // top // nordic winter cardigan
What a beauty you are, little girl. If you would have asked me last month about the leaps and bounds of change you would be making that next month I wouldn’t have been close to describing how much personality you have come to develop.
You have found your feet/toes and they are your most favorite ‘toy’ on this planet. You can lay in a pile of rattles, stuffed animals, squeaky toys, and light up activity- but be completely content with your little feet. In fact, you are pretty content with most things. You will play by yourself for 20-30 minutes, babbling to your toys or playing with your feet. A few weeks ago you finally mastered the back-to-tummy roll and now want nothing to do with laying on your back for play time. As soon as we lay you down you are already busy maneuvering your way to your tummy to grab everything within arms reach- and then of course put it in your mouth.
The smile that lights up your face when you hear my voice or see me across the room- it just incredible and so beautiful. You basically smile with your entire face- and its not just your mama that sees this. You are all about being in the middle of the crowd, the center of attention, and involved in whatever is going on around you- You cannot stand to be left out. But your sisters are always up to something fun, so I wouldn’t want to be left out either! Strangers often comment on your expressive eyes, chubby cheeks, and double chins.. and fall to putty when their words bring out the best grin they’ve ever seen. I have a feeling that you’ll be using that to your advantage in the years to come.
You are just too cute for words. My little beauty.
You cannot and will not ever understand the crazy love I have for you, baby girl.
f i v e month photo d u m p
hat // wrap //sweatshirt
bow // bib